Sunday, September 23, 2007

Meet Ian

Working away on homework. Finished The Handmaid's Tale for my Contemporary Literature class...not much to say except "eh." The ending left something to be desired. It basically had a "WHOOSH" kind of ending where nothing was really resolved. But now, back to drawing!

For one of my classes I need to create a character, give them a name, occupation, and some kind of conflict. The teacher gave us several examples and based on this I came up with this character:


Picture courtesy of Photo Booth. :P

Meet Ian! The description next to him reads "Ian the puppeteer is afraid of string. Will only work with hand-puppets and do everything within his power to avoid marionettes." Based on a guy I saw over the summer when I was sketching in the local mall food court. I only had his head, I made the rest of his body up just now and gave him his nifty official puppeteer cape!
While doing research on ACTUAL phobias(a phobia of string is real, it's called Cnidophobia) I stumbled upon some unique fears, here are some examples of possible character phobias I considered using:
Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
Ephebiphobia- Fear of teenagers.
Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms.(who doesn't have this fear???)
Octophobia - Fear of the figure 8.
And for all of the ladies I've drawn at the mall food court who probably take this to the extreme based on certain facial practices I've witnessed (like the constantly surprised pulled back eyebrow look):
Rhytiphobia- Fear of getting wrinkles.

Well nothing else, finished my storyboards for the same class, and am almost finished with my roller coaster just hammering the timing and such out---that and inking the beast, then shooting it again for class. Alright, so another week at CalArts has begun!

No comments: